Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Flea Market Fun

Every weekend at the Raleigh Fair grounds they have a flea market.  This past weekend Little Miss Whimsy and I decided to go there to hunt for a chair for her desk.  We had something very specific in mind!


Flea markets are always an adventure!  Look at these wonderful frames.  Oh let the imagination fly!  I am already working on a project involving a large ornate frame.  Even so I was tempted by these!

This flea is inside and outside.  There is so much to explore!

This is just a glimpse of some of the silver pieces and sets we saw.  Those are always hard to walk away from!

Here it is my favorite find of the day.  There were two matching ones both painted gray.  Oh man I wanted these.......badly.  I could imagine them on either side of my four poster bed as an unexpexted twist.  I even wondered if I should sell my existing side board in my formal dining room and place these in there!  I could strip them and refinish them or paint them a color that would compliment the room.  I must admit I love the gray but it would not work in my home!


A common feature in pieces like this the top "drawer" actually pulls out as a serving tray.  These were usually found in pieces from the 1940's.

The manufacturer was Morganton.  In the end I had to leave these for the next buyer as I simply had no place to put them......much to my dismay. I am still dreaming of them two days later!

Those weren't the only great furniture pieces to be found............

Need Oars?  These would be fantastic in a beach home or nautical themed boys room!

More drool ......

This vendor has the most beautiful beads and gems.

Our purchase of the day.  It was in pretty bad shape which is just what we wanted.  Lower price and ready to be made over!  I will be featuring this on an upcoming Monday.

The Raleigh Flea Market ....an entertaining way to spend a morning or afternoon!

24 comments:

  1. The flea market looks fun. Sooooo many temptations! Can't wait to see how your chair comes out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to see what you do with the chair! I love flea markets!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your excursion. I love to go to flea markets. They just don't happen enough around here. Lot of great stuff at that one. Can't wait to see the chair.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like you had the best day, KD. I love the gray dressers...I can see why you fell in love with them, too. I like that this flea market has so much furniture and it all looks like it is in good condition. We will have to wait for the weather to warm here and then the flea markets start in May.

    Love the chair you bought and can't wait to see what you do with it! :)

    xoxo
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  5. YEAHHHH! You found a chair!! I was furniture shopping yesterday and found a similar chair on clearance for around $50.00 and immediately thought of you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi KD...

    Ohhh my...my friend, I would truly be in my "7th heaven" to have that fabulous flea market at my fingertips! I live way out in the sticks and there just isn't anything like it..anywhere near! Boohoo! Ohhh...your photos were lovely...it was like window shopping! hehe! I too, just loved those fabulous gray cabinets! I would have seriously considered them as well! They would make beautiful bedside tables and I love, love, LOVE the top drawer trays!!! How unique!!! I'm so happy that you found the chair that you were looking for...you'll have it all fixed up in no time! I'm looking forward to seeing what all you do with it!!! Thanks for taking us shopping with you, Darlin'...what fun!!!

    Warmest wishes,
    Chari @Happy To Design

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know you will do wonders with this chair! Love all your photos of the flea market. I especially loved the two gray pieces and the green pie safe.
    Hope your back is better--I know your surgery is coming up and I will be thinking of you. Take care and show us all the "after" chair.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I could not go, I would break the bank!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi,I love the chair!!I'm working on one too,i bought it at the thrift shop.Can't wait to see it finished....Kathy-

    ReplyDelete
  10. ~WOW! Everything is gorgeous KD! I need to try to go to this some day soon.

    ~Blessings, ~Melissa :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well Sugah, I'm going to have to call my former neighbor for 30 years who moved to Raleigh and tell her I'm coming down and she and I are going to hit the Flea Market...maybe that's why she hasn't told me about it...wants to keep all those goodies for herself...LOL

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad you found your chair Kim.. I need to go to more of those flea markets. They closed the one in salisbury so I guess I need to point my car east and look up your way.
    ~ Sonny ~

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lots of eye candy. I have not been to a flea market in years, as the big one close to me started getting an overload of imported "stuff'. I may have to check it out again this Spring to see if it got better.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks like a fantastic way to spend the day and so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I want to go to a flea market now!! BAD!! You gave me the bug :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I had a great time going with you to the flea market...I too would love those gray cabinets..I have just started re-doing furniture around the house...Love it...can't wait to see what you do to the chair - I just redid a chair that I also saw in your post.. http://crazycraftyandcreative.blogspot.com/2010/03/i-am-excited-to-be-part-of-first-nifty.html

    I'm going to follow you so I can come back often and see what you are up to..

    ReplyDelete
  17. YEAH~! I love the flea market. Have you ever been to the Nashville Flea market? It is held the 4th weekend of every month. They always have some great things.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have been back to look three times now. I could not have passed up those two bedside tables either. I LOVE them. I love the flea market and all you had to choose from. We have estate sales and thrift stores here, the occasional auction and occasional sales, but rarely flea markets. Just to get an idea, would you mind giving me a ball park as to what they were asking for those. I am embarking on some new projects myself!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh I feel your pain having to leave that piece there. It is so hard when something like that comes around at the wrong time in our life. I know that haunting feeling and I hate that. Maybe next time!! Kathysue

    ReplyDelete
  20. I don't go to flea markets but maybe I should. I was drooling over some of the items you showed.

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a find: the chair and the frames. Beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  22. What wonderful junk at this market. A person could literally decorate their entire house from this one weekend junket:-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a flea market! I've not been to one that has such great treasures!! Awesome!

    I am a new Blogger and loved stopping by!

    Nancy's Notes

    ReplyDelete
  24. Ok, that made me homesick...miss that place! ;O(

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment. I love hearing what you have to say. I read each and every one of your comments and I try to comment back when I can.