Sunday, February 7, 2010

Tween Room Project 3 & 4

The tween room makeover continues.  This week I decided to take on some window treatments and some art work.

I found an incredible deal at Ikea on a pair of white on white panels for $30.  I know is your jaw dropping?  Mine was but not before I snatched them up and got them in my cart.  The fabric is pretty and they were 54" wide by 98" long and yes the price was unbelievable.  I figured I could make something out of them!  So this past week my sewing machine and I got personal with each other after a very long sebatical!  I decided since 54" finished width was much more than I needed and I did not want to really have to do an entire new seem down the side to remove some width that I would ad goblet pleats.  The most difficult part of a goblet pleat is making sure they are evenly spaced.  Above I have pinned out where mine are going to be sewn.
My machine was very kind to me this project and I am happy to report we ummmm did not share one cross word with each other!  Once I had my goblet pleats sewn in place I decided to add some black pom pom fringe to bring some fun and contrast to the windows.


Pinned and ready to be sewn!
Usually when you do a goblet pleat you will use a nice crinoline in the header of the panels to make sure they keep their shape.  Since I was dealing with a pre-made pair of panels I used an old trick.  I stuffed the goblets with batting!!!  After installing my drapery hooks on the back side of each pleat the panels went up.  Below is a shot of panels all packaged as  I purchased them from IKEA.



Here they are complete and up at the window!  Fun and fun and perfect for the room.  Although I am noticing a bit wrinkled!  I may just have to break down and pull the iron out if they don't relax on their own!Here is a close up of the pretty white on white printed fabric.For my next project I did some puppy art work!Little Miss Whimsy has been asking for this puppy poster for some time.  I am not a huge fan of posters plus her room doesn't have a whole lot of wall space for them either.When I was in IKEA I found these black frames for only $2.99 each.  I grabbed 8.
Taking the poster she wanted I simply picked out 8 of these puppies in Converse shoes and cut them to size to fit in each frame.
On one I added the word "Woof" for some whimsy.
Eight framed puppies.  The black frames pull black over to this side of the room.  Just what it needed!

I hope you enjoyed my projects for this week.  I am linking to the following blogs this week.


Make it Monday at cottage instincts

19 comments:

  1. Wonderful idea for the puppy pics. I love your curtain panels - what a steal, and you really dressed them up perfectly for that room.

    :)
    ButterYum
    PS - I have sewing machine envy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice drapes. Love the black ball trim you added. I am thinking about doing that to some drapes I have. First I need a machine which I do plan on getting. The puppy artwork is adorable. That is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice, love the colors !
    Kammy

    ReplyDelete
  4. The fabric from IKEA is gorgeous. That place is always full of surprises! The drapes turned out gorgeous. You are SO talented. I could never make those pleats!!

    Love the puppy pictures. Your daughter must be loving her room! :-)

    xoxo
    Jani

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I LOVE that fabric the panels are made of!! Great JOB!! And a smart way to use the poster!

    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful curtains. The puppies are too cute! Great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I just adore both the curtains with the trim and the puppy pictures. I'm here from Cottage Instincts, and I think I'm in love at first post! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a cute room! Love the curtains and cutting the poster is such a cute idea.

    Visiting from Cottage Instincts!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great idea for the puppy pictures! Love the draperies. Goblet pleats sound difficult, but it looks like you mastered them. laurie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Darling puppy pics! Love the black pom pom trim on the drapes. The white on white pattern is very pretty! You did a beautiful job on them!

    Cheers!
    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  11. The curtains are fantastic! Every time I see someone sew something into fabulous I want to sign up for sewing lessons!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Way too cute. I love the drapes and the art is just fantastic. Great job. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the goblet pleated panels and the puppy pics are too cute !

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great job on the panels! The pups turned out so cute. Both were terrific ideas.
    Beckie in Brentwood, TN

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the portrait on your header. Can you tell me about it? Is it an original?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anjie the portrait is called Miss Pearce and was sold through Ethan Allen. I was lucky enough to find it at a Ethan Allen whare house clearance sale. I don't know if they still sale the painting or not. Hope you get this message as I was not able to reply to your bloggger account.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment. I love hearing what you have to say. I read each and every one of your comments and I try to comment back when I can.