Sunday, April 19, 2009

She's Back...........Two Whirlwind Weeks In a 15 Passenger Van!

I survived to talk about it! I will start you all off with a picture that has become my kids favorite from the trip. Are you ready for this? Gettysburg was our 5th stop along the way. After touring Gettysburg by day and hearing all the stories about the haunting of Gettysburg my brother in law and my kids came to the conclusion that we MUST have a little Gettysburg by night and do a "Ghost Hunt" Although we were not equipped with the Sci Fi channels Ghost Hunters high tech equipment we made do with the van and flash lights as well as my sons "Flip" video recorder. My husband, brother in law, two boys and daughter decided to hike Big Round Top. My sister in law and two younger nephews decided we would stay in the van and do a little night driving. My nephews were terrified. No hiking for them. But I did have a camera and noticed other "night driving ghost hunting wimps" who were taking photos of virtually nothing as they drove around the battle fields. Sister in law and I decided what the heck lets snap some shots. When this one was developed it was quickly decided amid screams and freak outs that we had caught something. SOOOOO DO you see Ghosts? Faces?

Here are all the kids in D.C.
Here is how we all felt about midway through the trip. 10 people in a van for that long together can really have you babbling in no time!



Here is a shot of the whole gang in front of the white house and the gorgeous tulips that were blooming.




The capital.





The inside of the capital dome. Stunning!





Okay well in the Capital they have a painting of the signing of the Declaration of Independence. I had to snap this close up of my ancestor John Witherspoon. He is the gentleman sitting second from the right. I asked Mr. Whimsy if I should be alarmed that he is the least attractive person in this painting???







One of the last stops while in D.C. was the National Cathedral.







It is among other things simply Massive!




The stained glass windows are breathtaking. The workmanship inside and out is mind blowing.




From D.C. we drove to Charlottesville Virginia. Home to Monticello, Thomas Jefferson's home.







The property is breathtaking. I thought Ol George Washington had the set up at Mt Vernon but I think Thomas may have one upped him!






The architecture alone makes one dreamy.








On all the paths and beds the flowers were in full bloom. So beautiful. It made me want to go home and plant, plant, plant! One of my all time favorite flowers the Tulip. They were bountiful and gorgeous!







Our last stop on our journey was Charleston South Carolina. This city is definitely one of my favorite Southern Cities. I could go again and again. Among other things in Charleston the homes along the Battery are just awwww inspiring. Little Miss Whimsy caught some on her camera as we were driving by.






The architecture and sheer SIZE of these homes makes your mouth fall open!




Look at this porch!

The bay windows and turrets are beautiful.




Traditional and modest compared to others.





The Carlisle Estate can be toured. Sadly we hit it at the wrong time and would have had to wait around for two hours. Next time......






Thanks for sharing in my quick over view of the trip. We have too many pictures to post. These were just some of the highlights. It is good to be back.
















6 comments:

  1. You had quite the trip! What a wonderful gift to your children...time and history.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW! You went to some of my very favorite places!!!!DH & I are big history buffs. We led tours for our local college humanities committee of historical sites. We take 20 people on 2 15 passenger vans. Next trip is in the fall to Antietam/Harper's Ferry.

    Glad you had a fun trip! I could tell you some G'burg ghosts sightings!!!! :D Jewel

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun trip and you were brave to take it on. Your pictures are incredible. I love Charleston too.

    Have An Amazing Monday
    from Roberta Anne = The Raggedy Girl

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, you went to some of my favorite places too, especially Charleston (my hometown is Savannah, rival sisters in historic preservation!).

    Beautiful photos, beautiful family,know you had a wonderful time despite being crammed into a van for so long.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What beautiful photos! I am awestruck!!!!

    I'm so glad you are back and that you had a great trip!

    Hugs from Eventually Cottage!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you're back safe and sound! Looks like a fun time was had by all!!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment. I love hearing what you have to say. I read each and every one of your comments and I try to comment back when I can.