Thursday, December 4, 2008

Mad For Plaid!

For some time I have been working on finishing my formal dining room. It is the last room downstairs for me to tackle. I have always been a sucker for toile and that was an easy decision for me to make when choosing a wallpaper. That was well over one year ago! So although the wallpaper went up with ease, life got busy and the project came to a stop. I had planned on going for the "All Toile" theme but discovered when I started the project again that the "matching" toile designated to go with the wallpaper in fabric form...well it didn't match at all. So began the now 3 month search for the perfect fabrics to go in the room. I have battled it out, at one point even deciding to put up a different wallpaper and go with a totally different color scheme! I came to my senses thanks to a couple of dear decorating friends who "talked me down from the suicidal wall paper moment". So yes there is a point to me telling you all this. Yesterday after a 3 hour adventure in a new fabric place , I think I have picked a favorite. Not to my surprise it is PLAID. Somehow I always choose plaid. I have a secret love affair with plaid. Maybe it harks back to my wee bit of Scottish heritage, I am not sure ,but the affair began early in life. Oh yes you can be sure I envied all those Catholic girl uniforms from afar in my blue jean and polo shirted clad self. Thank goodness plaid became popular in that preppy fad fazed 80's decade. I owned and wore them all. Traditional tartans to hot pink and lime green plaid Bermuda's. The first sofa my husband and I ever purchased was a plaid in red and gold. Some times I wish I still owned it. Even now I have touches of plaid through out my home. So it is not too surprising that the fabric I am currently in love with for my dining room windows is ....yes PLAID!

9 comments:

  1. I love plaid, too...especially red and green at Christmas time...Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, KD! I was one of those plaid-skirted, uniformed girls you speak of! Well, only 2 years in grade-school and one year of HS. But was also a cheerleader for that parish for 6+ years, and some of those uniforms were plaid, too!

    Okay, now you've got ME loving plaid. Especially whenever I see it hanging in your kitchen eat-in area. I love that room!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny you should mention my kitchen Suzie. I wondered if I was going overboard by choosing this plaid (as seen in the photo) for my dining room with that plaid I have in the kitchen. But they are such a different scale that I think they are different enough. Our cheerleading uniforms were not even plaid. I just missed out all the way around GF! Maybe that is why my boys rooms are always plaid too LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Debbie the fabric store I was in yesterday had the most incredible silk plaid in hunter green, red and black. It was stunning and my GF and I decided we needed to go to a formal for Christmas so we could make a floor length ball gown skirt out of it and wear it with a crisp white blouse and black velvet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I, too love plaid. It is just a classic, isn't it??

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another plaid-skirted girl here! 12 years, and I never tire of it. Your plaid is YUMMY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The plaid suits the room and you. Classic and with a bit of drama. Definately a great combo, so go for it.~!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad we helped talk you down from the wallpaper removal. I in in such love with that green toile!!! The plaid is absolutely beautiful and I can't wait to see it up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi KD,
    Love many of your favorites as well.

    Sorry about the computer stuff. UGH! I am so bad at the computer. My hubby's a genius. More days than I can count I need his help. I really think I need a class. LOL!

    ~Melissa :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment. I love hearing what you have to say. I read each and every one of your comments and I try to comment back when I can.