Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Tennis Anyone?








I do believe this is my first ever Tablescape Thursday! This ever inspiring event is hosted by our friend Susan over at BetweenNapsonthePorch . Although this won't be my last one I am sure, they are not a weekly event for me. I only do up my tables when I am hosting something! Friday of last week I had the honor of hosting my tennis teams end of year luncheon. The week wore on in a frenzy of hectic chaos, which sadly seems to be the way things are landing here in the Whimsy household lately. Three kids in that tween to teen stage leaves little time for relaxing. We exist in what I like to call organized chaos most of the time. So by Thursday morning with no plans made for my luncheon I began to panic. Calm yourself , KD calm yourself! "Lets make this simple and lets make a plan", said I! "Think tennis, think tennis" Off to Michael's I went with a budget of $50 or less for decor hoping it would be for less. I headed straight for the sticker aisle. Hmmmm okay they had tennis ball stickers but nothing else. Around the corner to the scrap booking aisle and I hit pay dirt! I picked up 3 packs at $3.99 each of some raised cardboard tennis scap booking thingys!




From there I found my color scheme. Oh good, green and yellow. I had some green but NO yellow unless you could count some of the walls in my house. Over to the ribbon aisle I went and found some cute green and white checked spools of ribbon for $3.99 (I am sensing a pricing theme here) I picked up two spools. I knew I had some green vases. What else? Okay some floral inspiration is needed. Ahh haaa yellow and white daisies! Priced between 99 cents and $1.99 a bunch. Yellow, I really needed yellow. Off to HomeGoods to see if they had any yellow salad plates for a reasonable price. They didn't BUT they had a 12 pack of bright yellow dinner napkins for $12.99 BINGO!




I decided to use my green woven place mats on top of a white table cloth serving as chargers to bring my green in. The white plates are my everyday dishes which I found at Pottery Barn outlet for an incredible price. Funny thing about them is some of them have Pottery Barn Outlet stamped on the bottom and some have William Sonoma stamped on the bottom but all are identical. Next I folded up my yellow napkins so that a lot of yellow would show! Wrapped them in the green and white checked ribbon then used the scrap booking sticker, card board cut out thingys on top of the ribbon.






I used a variety of different ones.







What a cheery tennis themed table I had when I was all done. I loved the daisies, they were the perfect choice to brighten up the space.





The green glasses I had picked up at Kohls during Christmas time. I recently spotted the same ones at Pier 1.









I decided to serve the food on my buffet. I had a green scarf wrap. I decided to pull it out and drape my buffet top with it to continue the color scheme. In the end I stayed under my decor budget of $50. But barely I came in at around $44. Money well spent since I know I can use it all again.









My menu was easy and relaxed. Pin wheel sandwiches, Chinese chicken salad, pasta salad, fruit salad and dinner rolls. We had brownies and carrot cake for dessert.....yummy! I will feature some of these salad recipes in my month of June event SUMMER SALAD SATURDAYS. There you have it my tennis luncheon tablescape. Fun simple and definitely cheery! Make sure to visit Susan over at BetweenNapsonthePorch for more wonderfully inspiring tables.

30 comments:

  1. Hello
    Yeah for Tennis.
    I love your choice of colors,the napkins turned out fabulous.
    This was a super idea.
    Your simple menu has my mouth watering at the moment :)
    Thank you for sharing all the great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yayyy! I am having trouble getting on lots of the blogs tonight (mine own included - Blogger issues I read). I love, love, love your table. You did good GF! I am sure sorry I missed out on our visit that day b/c I could have at least helped with leftoevrs...um, I mean clean-up.
    :-)

    Next week, we will tablescape together. Some of my plates with your glasses and my flowers and your...well you get it. LOL

    Have a great weekend dear friend, hugs - Barb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your table! Love the green and yellow! Happy Tablescape Thursday ~ Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very pretty with the green and yellow together! And they compliment your wallpaper too, which, by the way, I love!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love your cheery table and room. Love the wallpaper!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The green and yellow talbe is perfect for a tennis luncheon--know what you mean about the tablescaping. I can't usually pull it off unless it is a real table for a real occasion with real food and real people! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your tablescape!! Looks terrific!

    suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your table is beautiful! Love the green and yellow! So springy! The glasses are beautiful!
    be a sweetie,
    Shelia ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so lovely!!! I love the colors...it looks so great in your dining room!!!

    I am head over heels in love with your wallpaper!!! It is sooo gorgeous...it combines 2 of my favorite things...toile and the color green!!! I LOVE IT!!!

    Have a wonderful day!!!
    XOXO
    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
  10. The table is really pretty. I love the water goblets.

    ReplyDelete
  11. * Such happy, spring-like colors, and soooo perfect for your tennis group!!! Your creativity w/ the napkins is terriffic!

    You "aced" it, partner!

    Best,
    Linda in AZ*

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the yellow and green together!! So complimentary! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is really beautiful KD. I love the colors you used. Really great job, this just looks lovely. I'm sure your tennis mates were thrilled! Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks just delicious and beautiful! I love the dishes and glasses with your green toile!

    Sometime would you show an upclose picture of the drapes in there? You know that room makes my heart pound.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a GREAT tablescape. I love how you did everything. Those glasses are wonderful and I'm going to check my Pier One to see if they have them.
    Tennis? Who'd a thunk, but it's GREAT.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My first thought was "Go Ducks" since I live in Oregon Duck country and green and yellow are the two most popular colors here. :) Love how you used scrapbook cuties to theme the luncheon. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your guests are so lucky to have such a wonderful hostess! Everything looks lovely! Stop by and see my table setting, if you like what you see, be sure to subscribe to my blog by clicking on "Follow" in the right hand column. This way we can inspire one another frequently! Be sure to stay a while when you're there and enjoy the experience!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Adorable - I love that you used the tennis ball as your color theme! I'm like you, I only set the table when I'm having company, although I did set it for display purposes for the first time this past Christmas.

    Anyway, I have two of the exact same buffet servers (Costco?). Thanks also for mentioning the Pottery Barn and William-Sonoma connection - very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'll play. Lovely Table scape so fresh looking. Love the Monogrammed lampshades on your buffet.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the green & yellow together. And the tennis scrapbooking thingies are great on the ribbon as napkin holders. And I love the goblets. Fabulous tablescape!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your table is simply delightful...the details add up to a lovely setting with a refreshing palette.

    ReplyDelete
  22. My mom is planning to host a luncheon for her ladies tennis league in the next few weeks, so thanks for some great decorating tips*!!! Everything looks lovely*!

    _Ashley~

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh I am totally impressed with your tennis theme. You did a fantastic job and I love the colors and all the dishes. Everything is just lovely. Love it. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  24. How cheerful - perfect for your tennis luncheon!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love yellow and green together. And it's quite beautiful here. I adore those green glasses. I have a Kohls right across the road from me, and I've only been in there once in a year's time. Guess I'll be heading across the road soon!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love what you did with the napkins and the price of the napkins were amazing. I need to get out and shop more:) Good job and it looks like a fun tennis luncheon.
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  27. I really like this table a lot, but even more I loved hearing about your quest to decorate the table in the tennis theme with your budget! You could be a good influence on me!! I am trying to be more creative with what I have or can use from my craft things (which are gathering dust!!).

    Don't you just love the silk flowers at Michael's? I never thought I would like artificial flowers but these days, having fresh flowers on the table is a luxury. So until I have flowers in my garden, Michael's it is!

    Wonderful job! The food looked great as well. I'm sure your luncheon was a success!! :-D

    xoxo
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love the themed table!! I will have to have my tennis gals over and do the same!! Thanks for your inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm really late getting here to see this (due to blogger problems and a hectic schedule last week), but I'm glad I finally made it to see this pretty table. What a great idea for the napkin rings, and the color scheme is just so fresh and pretty. laurie

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment. I love hearing what you have to say. I read each and every one of your comments and I try to comment back when I can.